Thursday, July 19, 2007

Nobody dies on purpose, but...



The past few posts I've written have been about needless deaths and my lack of understanding for the same. After re-reading them it dawned on me that there are thousands upon thousands of these wrongful deaths all around the world and they are not simply relegated to vehicular accidents, which is what I've been focusing on. What also occurred to me was that I'm sure that I'm not the only person who finds them incomprehensible yet they continue to happen and all I do is ask "why?". All of these people are victims of something or another and I'm wondering if I, the one not yet earmarked as a victim, should help on a personal level in the fights that are being waged as opposed to just wondering. I think I should, I think we all should.

I know that there are federal as well as local government and community agencies that attempt to keep these victims safe with various laws, regulations and assistance programs and I have to think that there have been a great many individuals whose lives have been saved because of them. I'm thankful for these organizations for without them I would imagine that there would be many more cases of needless death than there currently are. What follows is a list of agencies and organizations that actually help the public become aware of how to keep themselves safe; some of which we can become a participant of, others teach us while still others always need advocates:


D.A.R.E. - Drug Abuse Resistance Education is a wonderful program that should be a part of every community.

MADD - Mothers Against Drunk Driving - You don't have to be a mother to realize the effects of alcohol on driving and you don't have to be a mother to support the cause.

Child Welfare - Sometimes just having the right information helps us to prevent a needless situation.

Suicide Prevention - The more we know about something the more we can do about something.

Actual Causes of Preventable Death - Check out these numbers and causes updated in October of 2006 and see what we need to do.

Safe Kids - Learn what you can do to prevent...

T A D D - Turn Around Don't Drown - NOAA's Hydrologic Services gives us some information about flooding and the associated dangers.

Fire Safety Council - Brush up on how to save lives and keep your home safe too!

NSC Defensive Driving - The National Safety Council's site on defensive driving is a site all drivers need to visit.


There are tons more than the ones I've listed above but these seem to be the most informative that I've come across. Spend some time surfing through these links and if you already know the information brushing up on it never hurts! I know I learned some things so now it's time to put them to practice.

No comments: